Sunday, November 1, 2009

When you do something for a while and then it turns out to be fun

Meditation: The only reason that we like doing certain hobbies and routines is because we have broken through a facade in the first place.


Something that I have had a hard time trusting is myself; especially something that I do for a while and then it becomes fun.

Out of all of my main hobbies, and boy do I have a lot of them, it just seems like patterns of stuff that was fun and I kept going. I have them all separate in my head such that I can't help but think that I continue them for different reasons.

Diamond wrote, and I've rewritten this a couple of times on this blog, that "All happy families are alike, all unhappy families are unhappy in their own ways;" which is a rewrite from Tolstoy. In other words, success is the conglomeration of each individual success. Unhappiness or unsuccess is when a family succumbs to one individual problem (or more). In this way, happy families are all alike in that they have answered all of the problems that the unhappy families did not.

Take the zodiac and palmistry, both of which I consider under the same headings. I consider them under the same heading because they are both superstition. I used to be big into palmistry. Was I ever good at it? Can you be good at these things?

Pretty good to get sucked into oblivion with superstition; fun that is. No fun to look bad doing it, however. When have I looked bad doing palmistry? Plenty of times. It's worked out sometimes. But what's the criteria for working out?

Take another hobby: extracurricular music, playing the electric bass guitar alone and with friends. I started because I wanted to be like my brother and be like people who were ahead of me in school, one year up to be exact.

Why did I keep going? Well because it was cheap and fun and it made me both happy at the time and I wasn't too embarrassed about it afterward.

Writing. I've written a whole lot and it's hard to say where and when it starts. I started really heavily writing to my sister Paige in the second half of my senior year of High School, and then a whole lot during my year off between high school and college. I had a fallout with the Natural Resources Library, where I worked, and then I started writing for the Technician. My sister Paige encouraged me to keep a blog, and some of my friends were blogging, and here we are.


Reading? But I feel as though everyone reads.


But the question is: why do I feel like I've got to keep going with these hobbies? And how could I apply that to stuff that I want to do? (Like stuff that is not as easy to do, or that I don't want to do, like difficult philosophy tests, writing and running flashcards, doing difficult readings for school, and so on).


I remember in High School, and even College, I've told myself that if I get down to some studying, I will end up liking the work.

Such is true! And in fact, the only way to do studying, or studying successfully according to Richard Palmer, is to have fun while you are studying.

Large works like ahem Tolstoy's War and Peace seem like they are impenetrable until we get started on them and keep going.


The limitations are our own, enjoyment is subjective, and we should find the fun and the successful enjoyment through doing the work, and not in anticipation or consideration of the work.


But something tells me that the work is still brutal regardless; depending upon the job itself....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Followers