Thursday, November 12, 2009

Portfolio 23: The Story of DH Hill and Me

The story of D.H. Hill and me

By Jake Goldbas, Staff Columnist

Published: Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Updated: Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Goldbas_mug_111009

© 2009 NCSU Student Media

I never knew you could keep a locker at the DH Hill library; I’ve been having fun taking out the laptops; I use the tablets for reading, despite their unpopularity.

I just discovered that the philosophy section is on the third floor; but I never forgot that one night that DH and me got down with English literature on the fifth floor.

I love the diversity. I sit down with Druze, African-Americans, German and Nicaraguan foreign exchange students and Arab- and Asian-Americans.

The special collections room is my favorite right now, with its combination of desk and ceiling lights. I feel like the library got the lighting just right (except for the last table on the left as you enter -- which hasn't been fixed in the couple weeks since it went out, I don’t think anyone has told the staff). I like the fact that there is, at any given time, at least one kid there.

The Unity lab on the second floor is another new favorite. The Learning Commons on the first floor is usually for faster stuff, but I still adore it just the same.

I love the second floor space in the L of the stacks next to the men’s room with the giant windows in the morning, where the natural light merges with the artificial light. I like the searing yellow at this same spot in the late afternoon that reminds me to take a break.

I just discovered you can use dry erase markers on the glass tables on the ground floor, which I have been having fun with; but I’ll never forget one math class I took where we met Monday through Thursday and surrounded ourselves with the white boards in the Learning Commons.

I like the people who keep this place up because I feel as though I can identify their sense of purpose as they keep this place up. Vice Provost Susan Nutter, who oversees the libraries, does not know me but every once and a while I see her and she’s always smiling. I’ve had great chats with several of the circulation desk workers.

I meet my friends there. On weekends for a while I was coming here to take practice LSATs. I like the quiet semi-silence and blue morning light of the mornings. But I also like the uproarious din at 10 p.m. on a weeknight. I like how, if my friend Jon likes listening to music, he can take out headphones.

I’ve played Smash Brothers when I needed a break. I’ve taken walks to talk philosophy around the library. I’ve spent night after night before finals at the library. I’ve had too many all nighters here, and the strange sort of clarity that comes with the waking hours after you’ve spent all night here.

I don’t know what’s up with these tiny trash cans -- they’re always overflowing. And they’re there for 30,000 students.

I’ve met friends for studying, but I’ve also met people for the first time here. I was bored in line at the Hill of Beans, so I struck up a conversation with a beautiful woman one time, and we ended up dating.

It’s even safe to say that every relationship I have had has been made better by studying at the DH Hill Library.

In fact, every time I have been to the library, I’ve made my life better. I don’t think I can say that about any other place I’ve been to.

Comments

Be the first to comment on this article!

Log in to be able to post comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Followers