Thursday, April 16, 2009

Everyone's Pro-Life if you're happy!

Today was an excellent day. I feel every day in every way I am getting better and better.

Okay but about my previous quote:

I am pro-life to some extent. Hey, I'd like to think we all are. One of my friends, although I haven't seen her in a while, is Chinese-American. I can't help but think of her right now. I hope she thinks of me sometimes, I don't know if I'm going to see her again.

She considers herself a radical feminist. I don't know if she would use the word radical, but she certainly would call herself a feminist, and a very passionate one at that. She is brilliant and emotional about, well, everything, but in a good way. It's good because it's the emotionality that we turn ourselves off of every day. We have to be passionate. We have to be human. There are some negatives about being a bleeding heart, which we have to get around to later, but basically she hurt my feelings in order to argue her case properly more than once.

But there is no argument here for being emotional and passionate. It's an aesthetic argument, but also a raw ethical one to be human.

So this is all swirling into a big blob of emotion for me. Consider: as a feminist, my friend supports Pro-Choice laws, as do I. My basic reasoning for being pro-Choice is first that I think people should have as many rights as possible and that a clump of cells are not a person. Here's some Kant for you, I think that life starts when we apply the concepts.

But this is different, of course, from infanticide. In order to have an ultrasound, the baby has to be so big, so I understand.

Now, however, what would we do if we could predict the sex based on genetics or something like that. I mean, I do believe we have to walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, as Anna Quindlen said in her column in Newsweek. That is, we have to affirm the beauty of life and the right to privacy against government interventions.

I don't mean to tread on anyone else's emotional territory here, so I'm going to leave it at that. I can just imagine my friend arguing me into a bigger blob of emotion until I submit to whatever she says, regardless of if I agree with her or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Followers