Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Jeff Kasser's farewell to Colby Speech

I might have to take this down, but it is available through Colby College regardless so I do not see so much harm. One damaging thing is the stalker-ness of this. Professor Kasser was my adviser for Philosophy when I first came to NC State. He did an okay job as adviser but he really didn't teach me anything. In a creepy moment, I researched him and this is what I came up with. Kasser transferred out to another job by the end of the semester. In a way, I feel this man owes me for what he did not give me, but that's all side drama. It's a good window for some thought, which is what he says he wanted from this speech.

That said, what does this have to do with anything? Well for one it's from a philosophy professor. For another it's about being honest with oneself. I'm also interested in the damaging effects of bro culture, that is, popular culture of mainstream males who seem to be unconcerned with the future. Kasser brings up two specific and eery incidents of drama. In one, students vandalize the school in a rage, which shouldn't happen in a "satisfied" small rich liberal arts school. In another, students bring beer to a professor's last day of classes. Kasser says to look at what we do in order to gauge what is important to us. Students went in to celebrate, but Kasser implies that they went in to celebrate more for the sake of celebration. The Professor who was teaching was outraged and eventually went back to work. Kasser says we have an obligation to be honest with ourselves about what we care for, and we have an obligation to not say that we take things seriously when we don't. His cry to ask students to work hard, or at least be more honest to themselves about the amount of work that they are doing is especially endearing.

I'll post more on this if I think of anything later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers